June 19, 2006

Taking My Own Advice

I didn't. Wandered here and there this weekend not properly hydrated and sunblocked due to sheer laziness. Whoops.

Seventh Heaven in Park Slope

Brunched at Provence en Boite with what seemed to be half of Brooklyn -- not bad for its second week since its opening in Carroll Gardens. I put it down to this week's Time Out New York feature.

My crepe with chicken and mushrooms was delicious, coffee was so-so (I prefer mine a lot stronger), but the outstanding part of the meal was the pain au chocolate. Mmmm...Provence en Boite's pain au chocolate tastes closest to the ones which I bought every morning at the corner patisserie during my first trip to Paris 14 years ago. One small drawback, which ended up being a big drawback in the hot hot weather -- the glass walls let in a lot of sunlight which made the decor's rich red, yellow tones glow (good). But the sunlight also heated the bistro at such a rapid rate that it rendered the weak air conditioning useless, and left me and other patrons blotting the sweat off our foreheads (bad). Felt a bit like I was eating in hothouse.

After stuffing myself, I hopped on the dreaded G train for my annual pilgramage to the Renegade Craft Fair, where I spent more money than I should. Wondered if most of the vendors were part-time crafters trying to make a few extra bucks or full-on crafters trying to support themselves with their work. One response from a designer whom I chatted up:
I'm not an artist, I'm a commercial artist. I'm doing this so I don't have to get a real job.

If I could support myself making these awesome necklaces, I would. I could try peddling my um, let me see . . . ok, as I don't have any obvious crafting skills, guess I'm stuck working for The Man in the forseeable future. Sadness.

Despite my laziness about buying sunblock and equiping myself with water, I managed to survive last weekend without frying myself. Sweet. Note to self: buy sunblock asap. Peeling bits of skin from my collarbones is so not attractive.

0 Comments  |  Link



0 Comments

Post a Comment