March 19, 2006

Steel Wool Sucks

This must be some kind of record -- I've managed to cut my hands in three different places in a space of four days. Keep forgetting to wear gloves when working on the apartment; picking wiry bits of steel wool out of a cut is not fun.

To the people who have asked for an update on the status of the apartment: utilities finally turned on after convincing Con Ed I wasn't the previous tenent who owed them $ and stole electricity from them. Walls painted due to the help of some great volunteers. Scrubbed years of grime from cabinets and you don't want to know where. Still need to harrass building management about several minor issues, but apartment is in move-in condition now!

Despite not officially having moved in, I've met one of the crazy neighbors, the handymen, the building owner in the past week. Chatted with the local locksmith, who has lived in the neighborhood for decades and spilled some local gossip (Poking our heads out my window: "See that lot over there? Gonna be condos; they're laying the foundation this spring -- this neighboorhood is explodin'! And you see that huge apartment building over there? It's owned by these slumlords. The worse people lived in that building...I mean, gradually they got rid of some of 'em, it's not so bad now...)

Back to packing up my crap.

0 Comments  |  Link



0 Comments

Post a Comment