March 06, 2006

Boycott Alert!

If you know me, you know that I declare personal boycotts against establishments which piss me off. My McDonald's boycott is going strong -- 3 years and counting (with one minor moment of weakness).

New boycott starting asap: Studio 97 Salon in Park Slope.

Why? What seemed to be a simple misunderstanding about appointment times escalated into bullcrap as the owner tried to wiggle out of honoring my friend and mine's joint mani-pedi appointment with some sort of illogical, complicated bullshit excuse. When she saw that we weren't buying it, she tried accusing my friend and I about lying about our mani-pedi appointment arrangements.

If she just admitted that the obvious truth that she overbooked the salon and that they were running really late, then everything would be cool. Not sure why she didn't just do this, but decided to clumsily toss accusations (hello? I could see my name in the appointment book). Perhaps she needed to save face in front of her staff and other customers? I don't know. Usually this stuff is no big deal, but the owner set off my "you are seriously pissing me off" meter when she tried making her salon's overbooking problem our fault with awkward lies.

Sigh, this boycott sucks as the other manicure and pedicure places, which I've tried, on my side of the Slope are mediocre. Not that Salon 97 is fabulous, but they were decent and close-by.

On the bright side: I just tried Iris Nails (795 Broadway) which rocked and is conveniently located near my workplace. I'm not the type to be super chatty with my manicurist (I tend to zone out during treatments), but Noli and I spent the hour babbling about our families, visiting Shanghai and Hong Kong, NYC subway system, college, all sorts of random crap. To think, I would have never tried this place if the nonsense with Studio 97 didn't happen!

There's a silver lining for everything...

2 Comments  |  Link



2 Comments

at 10:58 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

bizarre comment above.
too bad about salon 97, they were the only one i knew of is the slope... good excuse to make it your mission to explore others though. for "research" purposes of course.

 
at 8:29 PM Blogger Awreye said...

thanks so much for contributing your illuminating commentary about American behavior, anonymous.

christina -- yes, i think more "research" is necessary. please feel free to join me on my research expeditions sometime!

 

Post a Comment