February 15, 2006

Sounds of the City

As I was leaving the office tonight, I stopped in the lobby to put on the earbuds of my iriver iHP-120 (nope, i haven't jumped on the iPod wagon), which I tried to turn on.

Nothing happened. No music, no LCD screen lighting up. Security guard noticed the look of omigodwtf on my face as I pressed every button on my iriver trying to get it to work. So instead of spending my evening commute listening to music, spent it listening to guys in suits yakking about the idiotic exploits of Dick Cheney, local and not-so-local accents, the unintelligible announcements from subway conductors, jarring sirens of passing ambulances, cell phones ringing as our train crossed the Manhattan Bridge.

Surprisingly having my musical soundtrack of indie rock replaced with a real urban soundtrack was a being a refreshing change. Most times I find it a bit stressful after 9 hours of work. Not tonight. The sounds made me feel more connected with the city. Perhaps i should go on a mp3 player hiatus.

2 Comments  |  Link



2 Comments

at 1:57 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

The urban soundtrack - it really is something you don't often get in other cities. Oh, New York. *sigh*

Did you get your mp3 player fixed? Might come in handy when that urban soundtrack is snapping gum in your ear...

 
at 4:33 PM Blogger Awreye said...

mp3 player is fine. the battery just needed a re-charge, something which I didn't realize at that time.

i don't mind gum snapping too much. what really annoys me are the religious zealots who rail loudly about how everyone on the train is going to hell because they don't believe in the bible (or insert another religious text here) blahblahblah for the entire train ride. there was one on the 2/3 train that last time you were in the city that provided us with 40 minutes of audio joy.

 

Post a Comment