February 15, 2006

Blizzard Show 2006 Starring E6

The star of this year's rock n' roll blizzard show was the Electric Six with a cameo from She Wants Revenge. Snow was falling as we walked to the Bowery Ballroom. I had no idea that we would end up with over two feet of the white stuff the next day!

Was looking forward to hearing She Wants Revenge live. I liked the few tracks I heard (you know I love Interpol-y dance-rock). But I must admit that after a few songs, I grew a bit weary of their sound. The songs started to blur together. (The Rolling Stone review of their self-titled album is snarktastic and spot on about their style.) From my view in the balcony the lead singer looked a bit too self-aware; like he knew exactly how to position his body with the guitar in relation to the microphone, so he'll be lit in a certain way. Would have loved seeing a bit more abandon and spontaneity on stage; or at least as much abandon and spontaneity as their moody sound allows. I still like some tracks, just don't want to hear them in huge blocks.

She Wants Revenge: dark blue lights = "Take us seriously.We are a moody band."

As soon as SWR finished their set, a good third of the audience left the stage floor. Perhaps they were buying more drinks? Went home early due to the blizzard? Most of them never returned, which was a shame as Electric Six put on a much more entertaining live show. The band played many tracks from SeƱor Smoke, their "new" album which just hit stateside last week. Unfortunately my favorite "Boy or Girl?" didn't make the cut, but "Jimmy Carter" and the crowd fav "Danger! High Voltage" did. Fans ate it up. Dick did his exercising and posing schtick on stage. Although I've seen him do it several times, I never get tired of it! However he did keep his pants on for the entire set this time around.

Pointing man never let up.

Introducing Johnny Na$hinal

More photos here.

0 Comments  |  Link



0 Comments

Post a Comment