June 14, 2006

Before Memory of My Boston Gigging Fades Away

For a fun buzzy high, listen to The Sounds. Their music may not be "deep", but must we limit our listening to bands playing Important Music That Will Change The Music World As We Know It?

The Sounds rocking out at Avalon
Saw them last April in a half-empty Avalon, site of a few cringe-worthy and cheesy club nights from my college days. Left slightly freaked (feeling a hand come out of nowhere to caress your face mid-set was spooky -- more so when it comes attached to a Debbie Harry look-alike), but happy. Their second album didn't seem like a huge stretch from debut album (I enjoy Living in America more than Dying to Say This to You), but that's OK with me.

On the otherside of the spectrum is Eyes Like Knives, whom I saw at the Middle East the next day. Both bands have attractive female leads, but that's about all they have in common. I don't know how to accurately describe their style (Anne, help me out here) -- spooky, bleak not-quite-noise rock with synths? My initial reaction was negative. Band didn't hold my attention, on-stage banter seemed awkward, had to leave before their set lulled me asleep. But I was intrigued enough to give their tracks a listen online-- and you know what? They are much more engaging online than live.

Are they making Important Music That Will Change The Music World As We Know It? Their style is certainly different. 10 years from now, who will people remember? Who will bands cite as their influence ("Oh yeah, X band was a huge inspiration.") -- The Sounds or Eyes Like Knives? Neither?

3 Comments  |  Link



3 Comments

at 4:09 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Iris,

I concurr re: "music that will change the face of music." As long as YOU like what you are listening to who cares what the critics and others think? I mean, I have a secret love of Bryan Adams (no cringing) and don't let anyone stop me from singing along with "Summer of '69" :) I must also concurr with your observations about "Eyes Like Knives." A little too "emo" for my taste. The chick in the band was too wishy-washy. Not enough rock for my taste. And in 10 years, I will probably still be rocking out to The Sounds (and Living in America is the better of the two albums but the new one is growing on my).

Anne

 
at 12:32 AM Blogger Awreye said...

BRYAN ADAMS?!? Moving on...(I'm in no position to judge; I luuurve Neil Diamond and Dolly Parton. They can put on spangly pants and still do no wrong. Which they do. Put on the spangly pants, that is.)

I've been in a a distortion/noise, introspective music phase for the past few weeks. Feeling more open to Eyes Like Knives now than I did 2 months ago. Not that I'm angsty emo-girl (you witnessed my "i don't remember action action being this emo" puzzlement in Boston). Er, it's a toss up which band will have more impact down the line...

 
at 11:21 PM Anonymous Cara Mengobati Anyang-anyangan said...

the article is very petrifying, hopefully it can be useful and an important lesson

Khasiat dan Manfaat Sayuran
Obat Kelenjar Air Liur Yang Membengkak
Cara Menghaluskan Wajah Seperti Sudah Operasi
Cara Mengobati Campak Dengan Daun Jarak
Obat Mata Trakoma

 

Post a Comment