March 20, 2006

Ramblings About Race, CSA and Then Some

Almost forgot to post, saw C.S.A.: Confederate States of America several days ago. It's a satirical mockumentary about post-Civil War America in some alternate universe where the Union lost and the Confederacy won. An alternate America where slave-based economy flourished in America, people of color were kept enslaved or herded into reservations. An alternate America with a show called "Runaways" (think: "COPS" except about escaped slaves, not criminals) complete with a hilarious banjo-filled take on the theme song. After 60 minutes of the mock doc complete with mock commercials, I wanted to throw up my hands and scream "I get it! I get that you're using humor to illustrate how the USA in some ways has progressed very little in terms of racial equality!" The fake doc idea is a little tired and heavy-handed, but effective.

Audience was receptive to the film. Glancing around, the audience seemed like it was completely White (liberals, my guess based on the neighborhood) save five people of color, including me. People were laughing (uneasily in my case, suspiciously too easily for some audience members). But given the neighborhood and the target audience of C.S.A., I doubt that the film really communicated anything that the audience didn't already know prior to the screening. I don't know if this film will penetrate other parts of America as well.

During the pre-movie dinner, I recounted something that a friend said which set off my "wait, did i just hear some racist/stereotype bs coming out of your mouth?!" meter a few days ago. My face sort of froze at the time as I was surprised to hear this statement from someone I've known for years. I made excuses for her in my head -- she made a simple, ignorant assumption about me based on my race, I can understand how she came to this incorrect conclusion, she doesn't intend to be offensive, I am building this into a big deal out of nothing.

But it bothered me enought to consult my fellow friends of color -- was my meter off or dead-on? My dinner companion immediately snapped that yes, such a statement is unacceptable. Even if it's not overtly in your face racist, she still made an ignorant and unacceptable assumption about you based on your skin color. Consulted another foc, who was aghast that I didn't give her a verbal slapdown (and then some) immediately. Basically my meter is calibrated fine. I just need to work on my reaction time.

Dammit -- I used to be way better about turning such moments into "let me, as your friendly person of color, educate you how your statement is complete bs" when I as younger. My American Politics prof is right, as we get older, we get more complacent. Need to reconnect with my old poli activism contacts and get fired up again. Seeing C.S.A. helped raise my awareness of how complacent I've become in the past few years. I've become wrapped up in work etc., that all my political ideals sort of fell by the wayside. Attended a party a few weeks ago and ran into my old activist co-workers, some of whom seemed a bit surprised to see how far I've drifted professionally away from my non-profit activist days.

Woah, this post has rambled a bit...basic points: immediately call bs on your friends who set off your racist statement meter, teach them how their statement is total crap if not for their enlightenment but for their safety so repeating that statement doesn't get them a beat-down from an enraged poc, C.S.A. is worth the price of admission (no matter how tiresome the structure).

0 Comments  |  Link



0 Comments

Post a Comment