January 29, 2006

Man Man Fan I Am

Almost a year ago I saw Man Man open for Arcade Fire. Back then I had no clue who these guys were; I remember thinking "Man Man? What a silly name! And what's with this other opener, Final Fantasy? Is Man Man, like, the name of a video game, too?" Became a Man Man fan that night. Who knew such brilliance came out of playing plastic horns and spatulas? Catching their live show is the perfect introduction to this band as they are insane live.

Last Friday's gig at Cakeshop was good, despite the space. Unless you're standing in the very front, it is impossible to see the band...sound was a bit iffy, too. Midway through the set I started feeling ill from the heat, sweaty stench of my fellow fans and the Red Stripe and Horlicks which I drank earlier. I propped my hip against a table so I didn't fall over. Glad I stayed as they rocked it. Left Cakeshop in the best mood (I might have skipped a bit down Ludlow).

Chicken Man Man and I have a stare-a-thon mid-set. I lost.

The crowd was as sweaty as Honus here.

Am starting to notice that the same people attend the same sort of shows in NYC. I introduced myself to a woman whom I've spotted at a few Fixed gigs (and also recognized from last summer's video shoot) at last week's Editors show. I spotted a few attendees from Man Man's CMJ gig at last Friday's Man Man gig at Cakeshop. Expect to see all of them at the next month's gig at Northsix.

3 Comments  |  Link



3 Comments

at 11:23 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loving the photos you've been posting. Also glad you're making friends among the "locals" at the shows. Who knows, you may find your next rocker roommate this way! ;-)

 
at 6:20 PM Blogger Awreye said...

glad you like the photos. i'm trying to tone down the phototaking at gigs, and just enjoy the music. you may see fewer photos of sweaty musicians from me in the future.

as for finding a roommate -- i prefer not finding one at all...we'll see what happens with the apt search, which will be kicking into high gear this week!

 
at 10:20 AM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with the solo apartment search. I hope, for your sake, that it can work out. :)

 

Post a Comment