January 02, 2006

Comes in 3s After All

I'm in New York. Which means I'm not in Ohio for my grandaunt's funeral. Which would be odd except for the fact I've never met her and only the grandaunts, granduncles, grand-etc are flying west. I should feel sad, but...well, I am sad that I never knew her, but happy that she's no longer suffering from illnesses that slowly stripped her of her memory and kept her confined to a nursing home for over a decade.

But her passing freaks me out more than makes me sad. My grandaunt was only a few years older than my remaining grandparent -- my fiercely independent grandmother who kept me supplied with candy when I only had 6 teeth, carried my 5 year old self around downtown Manhattan when my little legs were tired of walking and gave my dad a verbal beat-down when she thought he was being too strict with me (always fun to watch). Fortunately she is in great health, so she'll be around for many more years. I hope.

2 Comments  |  Link



2 Comments

at 4:33 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

One of my mom's college friends died on Monday. I share the happy/sad feeling with you.

 
at 8:38 PM Blogger Awreye said...

sorry about the bad news on your end! yeah, i just learned about the passing an hour after we last saw each other on new years eve...

 

Post a Comment