December 20, 2005

Strike On

NYC transit strike is on!

Most everyone whom I know is planning to walk/steal a bike etc. for a 2 hour commute to their office. Except my city-dwelling co-workers who plan to work from home.

Only one person, with whom I've discussed the strike, out and out supports the TWU's stance in negotiations. Most admit either they don't know enough about the issues to form an educated opinion or immediately go on a 10 minute rant about how the TWU sucks. I'm in the I don't know enough category. Need to read up on the issue and get off the fence. . .

Edit: Check out the heated comments on gothamist. The haterade is flowing for the TWU.

Edit: Be careful of what you ask for. Was looking for non-"TWU sucks" pov, and got one. Plus I didn't need to look far. Roommate went on a rant about how MTA is evil, everyone should support the TWU and all unions "in any matter." When I challenged the "in any matter" part of her statement -- eeek, the haterade really spewed forth: "We should all strike!! Don't you know what a living wage is? I blame Bloomberg, the government; they are evil, they caused all this!" Grateful that she stopped short of calling me a capitalist pig at least. Oink.

0 Comments  |  Link



0 Comments

Post a Comment