September 18, 2006

Disappointing Culinary Mo's from the Weekend

Gimme Coffee's Guatemala roast - What happened? You used to be sooo good. My cup of your Guatemala roast didn't have your usual kick, and I drank it black.

Bacalaoito from Atlantic Antic - I took a break from work and dropped by early so I can partake of some greasy fried cod and was given something that looks and tastes like unsweeted funnel cake. Our bacalaoita was missing an important ingredient: cod.

Oh yeah, forgot to report on an awesome culinary moment a few weeks back. Ate at Megu, one of those Japanese mega-restaurants popping up all over the city, on my mom's birthday. Despite my fear of raw foods, our 70% raw dinner was pretty tasty. Though I did feel "I'm going to vomit this slimy fish and alfalfa sprouts up in 10 seconds" once or twice (everything stayed down), I'd go back if only for the theatrical atmosphere (the entire staff hollering greetings at every customer that enters, the big ice buddha in a pool of rose petal-covered water). Oh and only if someone else was paying -- that place is crazy expensive! I could do what a neighboring table of giggly and cash-strapped teenagers did -- just order a few sushi rolls and call it a night.

2 Comments  |  Link



2 Comments

at 1:26 PM Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh ye of darkness, ye of strength
I take you black and smell of death

Egyptian, Columbian, French Roast
I have you in the place of toast

Each morning and each noon I yearn
For you, coffee, not burned

- My brief ode to coffee, without which I would be completely useless at work this month - sounds like your Guatemalan was as disappointing as the froufrou almond biscotti coffee someone brought in here...

 
at 11:43 PM Blogger Awreye said...

almond biscotti coffee is a culinary crime. call the food police stat.

 

Post a Comment