April 17, 2007

Haikus for Booze

Not that I'm a jaded partier by anyone's standards, but it takes a lot to perk my interest in traveling 1+ hours to a Bushwick warehouse on a freezing winter night for an event.

But when an invite arrives mentioning fire twirlers, 4 crazy djs, burlesque, stilt walkers, fondue, whip cream fiasco--it's hard to say no. Last February armed with a can of Reddi-wip, a sense of curiosity and many hours of sleep, I attended such a party. Great time was had.

Fast forward two months later, I'm clearing off my coffee table and find a few souvenirs of the night -- scraps of paper with handwritten haikus. In order to get a free drink, which had names like Agent Orange, partiers had to compose and read aloud haikus. Subject: anything goes.

I penned a haiku about disliking whip cream because I'm dairy intolerant, I think. Christina wrote about needing a shower, I think.

A sampling of a few penned by anonymous partiers that night:

I LIKE TO DRINK BOOZE
IT TASTES SO VERY YUMMY
PLEASE GIVE ME A DRINK

He kills me softly
While I try to make him believe
Does he love me?

Spontaneity
Its what is required of me
Please pour it for me FREE

Many are about the subject foremost in the mind of thirsty poets -- give me a free drink now. Some are more mysterious about their subject. I love finding souvenirs like this. Next warehouse party--I'm there.

Will post more boozy haikus later.

Labels: ,

0 Comments  |  Link



0 Comments

Post a Comment