April 16, 2007

Morning/Evening Listening - Travelust Edition

Continuing this thread, I've been listening to a lot of Orient Expressions in the mornings.

Orient Expressions with Imer Demirer at Babylon.

I'm not sure how to classify their sound -- a blend of electronica Turkish folk jazz dance music? When I was in Istanbul last October, I was fortunate to see them perform with trumpet player Imer Demirer during the Akbank Jazz Festival. Standing room only crowd ate up every note. Hahaha--my travel journal contains this sentence, "I'll definitely be pimping OE on the blog" for that night's entry!

So it took me six months, but if you're in Turkey do check out a gig. It will definitely be worth the money and time it takes to find the club (My friend and I cabbed it that night. There's no way we would have found Babylon in the maze of twisty Beyoglu streets on our own).

Listening to this only means one thing -- my feet are getting itchy. I need to get of New York. Perhaps not Istanbul, but somewhere without grimy subway stations packed with pissed-off commuters, the sound of bass pumping from someone's car stereo through closed windows at 3am, mountain of deadlines, sitting on my butt for 9+ hours a day in meetings, in front of a computer. After this weekend, my summer-fall travel plans will finally become a little more clear and hopefully my feet will find some relief.

Currently on my playlist:

AM: Orient Expressions - every track from the album Külliyat
PM: Elvis Costello - "Peace Love and Understanding"

The Costello-version has been stuck in my head since Saturday, when my upstairs neighbor was blasting this song.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments  |  Link



0 Comments

Post a Comment