November 21, 2005

New (To Me) Restaurants

Taking a short break from babbling about music to babble about food.

I like eating. I like trying new restaurants. Therefore, I give you my short reviews of new (to me) restaurants:

Beet
- Good, not stellar. To be fair, I haven't had stellar Thai food since I was in Bangkok a few years back (dur). Couldn't really tell the difference in quality between their U-Noodle and the Pad See Ew of Rice Thai, located only a block away, or Song, another competitor 10 blocks north. Felt like I was dining in a downtown lounge. Owners obviously took a page out of Peep's pink neon, wacky lighting, minimalist furniture aesthetic.
Verdict: would return, but would not go out of my way to eat here.

Acqua Santa - Great service, warm atmosphere, awesome food. So good that I ended up spending more money than I intended on a delicious filet mignon with prosciutto, porcini in a light creamy sauce. So good that I didn't even mind that the entire restaurant vibrated every 10 minutes, when the B61 rumbled by the bus stop out front.
Verdict: definitely would return, oh yeah.

Cafe Lafayette
- Excellent food (their brunch is especially good). Has a cute old-world feel (read: cramped for people who need at least a foot between tables -or- cozy, if you dig that basement bistro vibe). Pains me to point out their unsatisfactory service. The waiters were pleasant, the few times which we were able to get their attention (we practically had to wave our hands in the air like an air traffic controller to do so). But our food took over an hour to reach our table. Maybe starving us is part of their strategy to make the food seem tastier when finally served?
Verdict: would return, if I was in a particularly patient mood and wasn't all that hungry to start.

0 Comments  |  Link



0 Comments

Post a Comment